Thursday, November 17, 2011

Invincible Redesign Process

So I'm working on designs for the Project Rooftop: Viltrumite Vogue contest. I've been a huge fan of Invincible ever since I picked up the first hardcover on a whim several years ago so this contest was right up my alley.Redesigning Mark's costume is something of a trick, since it was so well designed in the first place. Keeping a simple superhero aesthetic simple, while still making it look fresh and nuanced is a tough tightrope to walk. Not quite a dozen designs here, ranging from space-man to Kirby to Best Buy salesman. Towards the end I realized that I wasn't so much designing for Mark anymore as I was for his father, as sometimes happens with design, occasionally you drift off topic.  Most of this was about finding good shapes and refining them. I've decided which piece I'm going to develop into the final, but for now, you'll have to make due with the prelims. Until next time!

No comments: